The Communications Assistant is responsible for assisting with the implementation of media and public relations for the American Humanist Association and assisting with its adjuncts. The Communications Assistant reports to the Deputy Director and the Executive Director. Starting salary for this position will be in the $33-37K range dependent on experience and education.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Draft press releases and other media outreach, handle press calls, and regularly pitch story ideas to reporters
- Draft letters to the editor, opinion editorials, and articles for publications
- Monitor the news industry’s coverage of relevant humanist priorities including in broadcast, print and online outlets
- Assist with editing the Humanist.com, while occasionally contributing articles
- Promote books the AHA publishes to book reviewers and other relevant outlets
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field or commensurate experience
- Ability to multi-task and initiative to discover and take on new projects
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong proofreading and copyediting abilities
- Ability and interest in promoting humanist viewpoints
- An outgoing personality and public speaking capability is a plus
The AHA offers good benefits, including full health insurance, a generous leave program, and a 403(b) retirement savings plan that includes a partial match.
Send resume AND cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The AHA is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes everyone to join our team. We strongly encourage people of color, transgender and non-binary people to apply for our open positions. We encourage you to explore our website for more information about our work. The American Humanist Association advocates progressive values and equality for humanists. Our motto is: Good Without A God.
The American Humanist Association has internships available year-round for students, recent grads, and volunteers in Washington, DC. Interns will develop a more comprehensive understanding of how a progressive, national nonprofit organization works, while gaining valuable skills for the future.
An internship at the AHA will provide an opportunity to support the organization’s current work: advancing humanist values and progressive issue advocacy, focusing on church-state separation, civil liberties, reproductive freedom, human rights, and equality.
Internships are currently available in following areas:
The American Humanist Association’s Appignani Humanist Legal Center accepts interns year-round. To be considered for the Fall of 2020, please apply by August 15, 2020. The AHA’s legal arm, the Appignani Humanist Legal Center, handles constitutional litigation and church-state separation cases, with clients ranging from parents and students to federal inmates.
The legal intern is primarily responsible for researching and writing legal memoranda and assisting in litigation under the supervision of the legal center’s attorneys. The intern may also be assigned the task of investigating new complaints, maintaining case files and submitting public records requests. Learn more here!