We have no current open positions at this time.
The AHA is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes everyone to join our team. We strongly encourage people of color, transgender and non-binary people to apply for our open positions. We encourage you to explore our website for more information about our work. The American Humanist Association advocates progressive values and equality for humanists. Our motto is: Good Without A God.
The American Humanist Association has internships available year-round for students, recent grads, and volunteers in Washington, DC. Interns will develop a more comprehensive understanding of how a progressive, national nonprofit organization works, while gaining valuable skills for the future.
An internship at the AHA will provide an opportunity to support the organization’s current work: advancing humanist values and progressive issue advocacy, focusing on church-state separation, civil liberties, reproductive freedom, human rights, and equality.
Internships are currently available in following areas:
Communications and Social Media Internship
The American Humanist Association is hiring a part-time, paid communications and social media intern for the current Fall 2019 semester. This position is a great opportunity to get involved in the organization’s current work involving advancing humanist values and increasing public awareness of humanism.
The communications and social media intern will:
- Conduct background research for opinion pieces and letters to the editor.
- Attend weekly pitch meetings and pitch and write articles for TheHumanist.com.
- Assist in implementing the American Humanist Association’s media strategy.
- Assist in final development and execution of the American Humanist Association’s brand refresh.
- Assist in conducting an evaluation of organizational materials and copyediting.
- May assist in drafting press releases.
- Generate engaging social media content, especially for Instagram and YouTube.
- Assist in crafting a comprehensive social media content schedule.
- Monitor organizational social media accounts.
Applicants must be organized, self-motivated, reliable, and demonstrate an understanding of humanism and interest in progressive issues. Interns are expected to work at the American Humanist Association National Office, located at 1821 Jefferson Place NW, Washington, DC 20036 for 15-20 hours weekly.
Please send the following materials to Sarah Henry at email@example.com:
- Cover letter, detailing your experience relevant to the position and your interest and background in secular humanism.
- Current resume.
- Writing sample (maximum 1000 words).
- Weekly availability.
The American Humanist Association’s Appignani Humanist Legal Center accepts interns year-round. To be considered for the Spring of 2020, please apply by December 15, 2019. The AHA’s legal arm, the Appignani Humanist Legal Center, handles constitutional litigation and church-state separation cases, with clients ranging from parents and students to federal inmates.
The legal intern is primarily responsible for researching and writing legal memoranda and assisting in litigation under the supervision of the legal center’s attorneys. The intern may also be assigned the task of investigating new complaints, maintaining case files and submitting public records requests. Learn more here!