Graphic Design Associate
The American Humanist Association, a national non-profit organization of people working for the advancement of humanism, seeks an enthusiastic individual to design and lay out publications and promotional materials. This person will have the opportunity to be a part of the visual image for the oldest and largest humanist organization in the United States. This position is based at the AHA’s main offices in Washington, DC.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Produce, from conceptualization to layout to press, Humanist bimonthly magazine
- Creatively design covers for Humanist magazine and Humanist Press books
- Efficiently lay out the text for our quarterly newsletter Free Mind and occasional books
- Design and lay out promotional materials, including brochures, annual reports, ads, and position papers, as well as direct mail fundraising pieces and changes in stationery
- Communicate with printers and mail houses to be sure all materials are produced efficiently and with high quality
- Design graphics and memes for website and social media adhering to tight timelines
- Design graphics for annual conference and other events
- Demonstrably strong layout skills stressing speed and meticulous attention to detail
- Solid Mac proficiency with InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator
- Capability to design professional looking materials
- Experience handling multiple projects concurrently
- Significant experience with print production including necessary print specifications
- College degree in fine arts or graphic design-related field
- Knowledge of rules for photo copyrights
- Photography experience
- Experience with videography and/or video editing
- Web design knowledge and experience with Muse
- Understanding and familiarity with humanism and the AHA
Starting salary will be up to 40K dependent on experience and demonstrated ability. The AHA offers full benefits, including health insurance, and a 403(b) retirement savings plan. The American Humanist Association is an equal opportunity employer. This position is based at the AHA’s main offices in Washington, DC.
Send resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
We urge you to explore our website for more information about our work. Humanism is a progressive lifestance that, without theism or other supernatural beliefs, affirms our ability and responsibility to lead meaningful, ethical lives capable of adding to the greater good of humanity.
The American Humanist Association has internships available year-round for students, recent grads, and volunteers in Washington, DC. Interns will develop a more comprehensive understanding of how a progressive, national nonprofit organization works, while gaining valuable skills for the future.
An internship at the AHA will provide an opportunity to support the organization’s current work: advancing humanist values and progressive issue advocacy, focusing on church-state separation, civil liberties, reproductive freedom, human rights, and equality.
The AHA is currently seeking applicants for its Summer Internship Program from May 15, 2017 to August 18, 2017.
Internships are currently available in following areas:
Communications: The intern will assist in implementing our organization’s media strategy. Specific duties include drafting press releases, letters to the editor, and opinion pieces, along with maintaining a media contact list and communicating AHA’s message to the press. The intern will also participate in editorial meetings and write weekly articles for the AHA’s online magazine, TheHumanist.com.
Editorial: The intern will assist the editorial staff of our national award-winning magazine, the Humanist, and online website TheHumanist.com. Tasks include reviewing submissions, fact-checking manuscripts and magazine articles, proofreading, assisting in managing the online magazine, and potentially writing editorials, book reviews, or articles.
Graphic Design and Social Media: The intern will develop, design, and produce graphics and promotional materials for our online presence including infographics, memes, and advertisements; stay up-to-date on current design trends for both print and online media; provide design assistance to the graphic designer as needed; and monitor and schedule social media postings as needed.
Legal: The AHA is currently seeking applicants for its 2018 Summer Internship Program. The AHA’s legal arm, the Appignani Humanist Legal Center, handles constitutional litigation and church-state separation cases, with clients ranging from parents and students to federal inmates. The legal intern is primarily responsible for researching and writing legal memoranda and assisting in litigation under the supervision of the legal center’s attorneys. The intern may also be assigned the task of investigating new complaints, maintaining case files and submitting public records requests. Learn more here!
Library Science: The intern will review the current status of the AHA’s library and archives, make recommendations as to better organizing or reorganizing of materials, use and improve the cataloging process, and carry out the physical work of handling the materials. Such handling will include book and media repair and preservation, shelving, transport, and digitizing. The intern may also be called upon to communicate with outside resources, vendors, organizations, and donors of materials.
Qualifications: Applicants must be organized, self-motivated, reliable, and demonstrate an understanding of humanism and interest in progressive issues. Interns are expected to work at the American Humanist Association National Office, located at 1821 Jefferson Place NW, Washington, DC 20036, though the option to work remotely can be considered for certain internship positions. Internships are unpaid positions.
To Apply: Send a cover letter with your area(s) of interest and availability, current resume, at least two professional references, and 2-3 recent writing or design samples to email@example.com (note in the subject line which area you are interested in).