Call for Voices: Amplifying Marginalized Humanists in our Media
We recognize that cisgender, straight, white voices dominate newsrooms and the media. We find this contrary to the principles of humanism and a failure to reflect the true diversity of our communities. To promote equity and adequate representation in the humanist movement and society at large, we must amplify the voices of the traditionally marginalized, particularly with regard to matters of social justice.
Published articles will be compensated $400 for feature pieces (3000-4000 words) for the print publication of the Humanist and $125 for shorter pieces (750-1500 words) for either the print publication of the Humanist or on theHumanist.com. Your labor has value to us; if your accepted article ends up not running you will be paid a 20% kill fee.
Please also note this is the second year of this program; funding will be used until exhausted or renewed.
If you have any questions about pitches or the application, please do not hesitate to contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Submission applications must be complete to be considered.
2. Please also review the Humanist magazine and theHumanist.com general submission guidelines linked here.
3. Though learning about humanism is useful for authors, the best way to know the sort of material we publish is to read the site.
4. Please also note that timely articles are more likely to be published (especially in theHumanist.com) than general philosophical articles.
5. In addition to reporting and humanist perspectives on news, politics, social justice, technology, science, and culture, we consider humor, poetry, and cartoons.
6. Excerpts from forthcoming or just-released books will also be considered.
7. People can pitch an idea (1-2 sentences to a paragraph in length) or send a completed article for consideration. Pitches should be accompanied by 1 or 2 clips (can be blog posts, essays, or published articles). Please note that if we express interest in a pitch, the article is “on-spec,” meaning we won’t make a decision on publication until the complete article is received.
8. A brief two- or three-sentence biographical statement about the author, and a headshot must accompany a pitch or submission.
9. If your application is accepted for publication, we will notify you and confirm whether we want to publish online or in the print magazine after the full article is submitted. We will also notify you of the amount you’ll be compensated for your article.
10. We will send you our edits marked in tracked changes for your review and invite you to make further changes or inquire about ours.
11. At this time, we can only fund submissions from those residing in the United States and U.S. Territories.
12. By submitting an application, you acknowledge that you have read and agree to the submission guidelines.
13. After you submit the submission form below, you will receive a confirmation within 5 business days. If you don’t receive a confirmation please reach out to us: email@example.com