Job & Internship Opportunities
The Communications Associate at the American Humanist Association (AHA) will report directly to the Director of Communications in order to maintain and expand the organization's public and media relations.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Monitor and maintain knowledge of the news industry, including familiarity with broadcast, print and online outlets
• Draft press releases, op-eds, letters to the editor, action alerts, and other media outreach
• Handle press calls and pitch story ideas to reporters
• Use social media to promote the AHA's mission and stance on issues
• Prepare and update media content for the AHA's website
• Represent and speak on behalf of the AHA at public events or local groups
• Manage publicity for AHA's publishing house, Humanist Press
• Write articles for the organization's outreach publications, such as TheHumanist.com
• Perform other duties as assigned
1. Bachelor's degree
2. At least three years experience in public relations, journalism or communications (familiarity with Meltwater and strong relationships with reporters a plus)
3. Ability to multi-task and initiative to discover and take on new projects
4. Excellent oral and writing skills
5. Proofreading and copyediting abilities
6. Ability and interest in promoting humanist and atheist viewpoints
Starting salary will be $35,000-$40,000 based on experience; position is located in Washington, DC. The American Humanist Association offers good benefits, including health insurance and access to a 403(b) retirement savings plan. The American Humanist Association is an equal opportunity employer.
Submit resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline for consideration is March 21, 2014.
The American Humanist Association has internships available year-round for students, recent grads, and volunteers in Washington, DC. Interns will develop a more comprehensive understanding of how a progressive, national nonprofit organization works, while gaining valuable skills for the future.
An internship at the AHA will provide an opportunity to support the organization's current work: advancing humanist values and progressive issue advocacy, focusing on church-state separation, civil liberties, reproductive freedom, human rights, and equality.
Internships are currently available in following areas:
Editorial: The intern will assist the editorial staff of our national award-winning magazine, the Humanist. Tasks include reviewing submissions, fact-checking manuscripts and magazine articles, proofreading, assisting in managing the online magazine, and potentially writing editorials, book reviews, or articles.
Applicants should have a background or strong interest in one or more of the four areas. They should be enthusiastic, organized, self-motivated, and reliable, and have an interest in humanism and progressive issues. Interns' work schedules can range from part-time to full-time. Internships are unpaid.
We are currently accepting applications. Please submit a current resume and cover letter, including your area(s) of interest and availability, to email@example.com or fax to 202-238-9003, Attn: Intern Program.