To promote grassroots activism, the AHA is funding small-scale “Empowering Action” projects that unite community and demonstrate humanist values at protests, rallies, and other events highlighting social justice. The scope of this grant is intentionally broad: activism shouldn’t be put into a box. You could apply for funding for sign-making, water bottles and snacks to hand out at protests, masks to wear at demonstrations, supplies to wash out tear gas or treat rubber bullets, or something altogether different. We want to fund projects that use activism to bring together the community and share a humanist message.
Applications must be complete to be considered.
AHA staff will directly notify grant winners on a rolling basis. At this time, we can only fund applicants residing in the United States and U.S. Territories. By submitting an application, you acknowledge that you have read and agree to the grant rules.
1. Grants are offered to individuals and organizations to either advance social progress or engage in community organizing.
2. Grants range from $10 to $500 in value (with some flexibility at the sole discretion of the AHA). If your project is a good fit, but requires additional funding, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. Grants can be used for (but are not limited to) direct monetary support, PPE purchases, activist responses, or other related causes. Funding cannot be used as a donation or contribution to other organizations or non-profits.
4. Grants will be awarded on a rolling basis until funding is exhausted.
5. All grantees will complete a post-project survey to assess the efficacy of our grant program overall.
6. Grantees are encouraged but not required to share their project with us either through photos or videos by tagging us on Facebook @americanhumanist or on Twitter @americnhumanist. Please make sure you aren’t photographing people in vulnerable situations or without their consent.
7. Grantees retain rights to any created work.
8. If you are unable to complete your proposed project or use the grant for its intended purpose please reach out to us as soon as possible at email@example.com.
9. Misuse of funds can result in ineligibility for future American Humanist Association grants or scholarships, therefore reach out to us as soon as you encounter any issues or roadblocks.
10. If you have any questions about the application or the grant, please do not hesitate to contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please complete the application below.