2020 Miami World Humanist Congress
Beyond Borders: Our Vibrant Global Humanist Culture
Call for Speakers and Presenters
Humanists International and the American Humanist Association are now accepting speaker and presenter proposals for the 2020 Miami World Humanist Congress. The event will be held in Miami, Florida (USA) at the Hyatt Regency on August 6-9, 2020.
This is an opportunity to immerse yourself in the humanist community, meet like-minded people, and gain visibility.
Please review the following guidelines before you apply. Proposals may be submitted through Wednesday, May 15, 2019.
Your topic should be relevant to the theme of the 2020 Miami World Humanist Congress, “Beyond Borders: Our Vibrant Global Humanist Culture”. Presentations should cover such topics as:
- Is there a universal humanist culture?
- What does humanist art look/sound like?
- What are humanist responses to migration and refugee issues?
- A humanist response to climate change
- Challenges for humanist education
- Combating anti-LGBTQ+ policies
- Responses to the rise of nationalism in various regions
- What are cultural rights?
- How to combat blasphemy laws
- Humanist celebrations
- Creating infrastructure for humanist communities and organizations
Presentations on topics not listed above will be considered if they are relevant to the theme of the Congress. We welcome presentations that include more than one speaker or a panel of speakers.
All proposals must be in English.
Presentations should be either one hour or thirty minutes in length, including a brief session for question and answer. Length of presentations are subject to change.
Each speaker will be provided a moderator to present the speaker(s) and to moderate the Q&A portion.
The Evaluation Process
Proposals will be reviewed by the event Planning Committee according to the following criteria:
- overall quality
- relevance to humanism and the theme of the 2020 Miami World Humanist Congress
- well-defined focus
- practical applications of material
- timeliness of the topic
- the qualifications of the speaker(s).
Presentations are expected to provide valuable and quality educational presentations and engage the audience.
Please keep in mind that spots are expected to fill up quickly, so submit your proposal as soon as possible.
Proposals may be submitted through:
Wednesday, May 15, 2019