Summer Camp for Grownups: Adventures in Humanist Community July 21-28
It's summer camp for grownups! The American Humanist Association and the American Ethical Union are teaming up to host Adventures in Humanist Community, a week-long retreat for future humanist leaders at the Mountain Retreat and Learning Center near Highlands, North Carolina from July 21 to 28, 2013.
Participate in workshops to develop your understanding of humanism and skills to create humanist community:
- Adventures in Humanist History - led by Fred Edwords of the American Humanist Association, teaching the history of modern humanism
- Community Building Communication - led by Diane Kirschner of the Brooklyn Society of Ethical Culture, exploring the art of nonviolent communication
- Ideas that Sing: Bringing Humanism to Life - led by James Croft of the Harvard Humanist Community, showing how to convey humanism to the public with passion and conviction, using the arts and compelling emotional narratives
- Living Ethics: Living Our Values, Humanist Style - led by Jone Johnson Lewis, a Northern Virginia Ethical Society Leader, investigating humanist ethics in action
- New Paradigm for Living on Earth – Peacefully and Sustainably - led by Joy McConnell, consulting Leader for the Ethical Society of Asheville, asking how we can live more responsibly
Families with children of all ages are welcome!
The Mountain Retreat and Learning Center in Highlands, North Carolina, is located on top of a granite cliff on the Highlands plateau overlooking a majestic Blue Valley. Outdoor activities include a one-day rafting trip, zipline adventures, guided hiking trip, shopping trips, sports, and more!
How to Register
The cost for adults is $1,200 per person, double occupancy (single rooms are available at an additional cost). This fee includes lodging, meals, and workshop programs. Some outdoor activities (such as rafting and ziplining) require an additional fee; please inquire when registering by phone. The fee for children is $600 per child (ages 4-17), family occupancy (children 3 and under are welcome to accompany parents at no additional cost). Transportation to and from Atlanta International Airport can be arranged for an additional fee.
Call 1-212-873-6500 or download the form here and mail to:
American Ethical Union
2 West 64th Street
New York, NY 10023
More information can be found at www.aeu.org or by calling 1-212-873-6500.